Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Little Gorgeous Moments

This morning, Delighted Husband hit the snooze just once more, so we could spoon for nine more minutes. Oh. My. God. Thankyouthankyouthankyou for this marvelous man you've given me. For the comfort of how his perfect rear snuggles and warms my belly. For the way his hairy belly feels SO right cradled under my palm. For his scent so soothing and infinitely familiar as I breathe on his shoulder blade. Thank you. For the delightful comforting oneness that makes nine more minutes seem like such bliss. Thank you, Lord. You rock.

There's something about sleeping together. And I don't mean the fifities euphemism for getting it on. I mean the intimate trust of curling up with another human being and abandoning yourself to sleep. Letting your guard down. Embracing someone else in those Winken-Blinken-and-Nod moments before you let sleep take over. God, I love that. I so cherish that about my honey.

When we first got married, we were all knees and elbows. We had no problem finding plenty of room to *play* in our bed, but finding room to *sleep* and actually stay asleep was another matter. I guess a part of that was both of us waking up in the middle of the night thinking "ohmyGod you're HERE!" and then spiraling into arousal licketysplit. Nothing like sated exhaustion to encourage sleep. My coworkers used to make fun of me because I was such a sleep-deprived newlywed. I walked around the office in a daze, bleary-eyed with a cockeyed grin on my face.

Over the years, we've perfected our reportoire of sleeping positions. I know them way down in muscle memory. I know that any bed on God's green earth will feel like home to me as long as he's in it. Oh my Delighted Husband. This is my lover, this is my friend.

My thanks to Biker for his post on finding their perfect sleeping position. It made me remember our early days which made for a much longer post as I sent out my gratitude for more than the last nine minutes. The last nine minutes were postworthy all by themselves. My word. God you are too generous but we'll take it anyway.

Whoops! Wonder if the school bus has come already!-SW

No comments: