Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Job's Friends, take a lesson!

This has got to be one of the most beautiful redemptive soul-affirming things I've ever read.
And it wasn't even directed to me.
I'm just warming my hands by the spillover glow.

This comment was written by some dear anonymous man comforting another dear anonymous man who had an affair and got fired from his job at a large Christian ministry. His family is shunned at church and they are in danger from losing their house. Years later.

Call me idealistic.
I have a dream.
I have a dream that there will be a beautiful, redemptive, soul-affirming ministry where every member of the staff has the words "former screw-up" and "child of God" in their title.

I get that you can't have someone actively pursuing a life of sin while they're in ministry leadership. Embezzlement, adultery, abusive temper, whatever flavor of sin. But what about repentance? What about after? What about grace? What about restoration? Whaddya think Jesus died for anyway?

He wasn't wasting his time on the cross, folks. I needed it. We all needed it.

If I never do anything else for God besides love and cherish my family, I pray it could be that I treat a heart in crisis like ol' Theo did instead of like Job's friends did.

No comments: